Thursday, May 14, 2009

How to recharge a camper battery if.......

OK I know this definately sounds like a redneck joke.

How to Recharge Your Camper Batteries without spending lots of money on rewiring your truck.

When I bought my GMC, it came through with no tow package, and the nice little pigtail of light duty wires to hook up your standard turn and brake lights through a 4 way connection to the trailer.

What I needed was the hevy duty wiring package which includes brake controls and 12v charging line.

For a large sum of money I could have this, compliments of GM, as they make a replacement harness that plugs into the plug behind the cab over the gas tank. It will give me a 7 way connector for a 5th wheel or camper, and a 7 way for the rear of the truck to tow with.

So being the thrifty person I am (ok, so I'm too cheap to get the harness)

I went to Walmart, home of everything you wouldn't need, but realize you can't live without it.

I found a set of jumper cables 20 feet long. The idea, jump the batteries in the bed of the truck from the alternator to charge the batteries.

So this is what I have to charge when I need electricity in the camper....



12 Volts when the truck is running, charging 2 deep cycle batteries. Only downfall is it only works when stationary, but then again I only draw a few amps a day for lights and the fridge, so I may only need to do this once or twice a trip.

Now I'm off on vacation.... see you streamside.

No comments: